NOTE: this site is in the process of being updated to reflect the recent merger of Turning Point Partners of Louisiana (founded in 2001) with Community Mediation Services (founded in 1995). The CMS website — soon to be available at cmsnola.org– will integrate the restorative trainings and services of TPPL with the mediation programs of CMS. Both emphases, restorative and mediation, will fly under the banner of Community Mediation Services.
The Community Mediation Services mission is to promote and provide mediation and restorative practices to prevent conflict or to resolve it peacefully and with justice.
The TPPL program offers trainings and services in restorative strategies that foster healing from trauma — whether caused by violence, poverty, family challenges, natural disaster, or everyday overwhelming event.
Our practices promote resilience: the ability to rebound from trauma.
Our approach focuses on the talents and gifts of individuals and their families to overcome the high-risk conditions under which they live and it draws upon the inherent power of communities to facilitate systemic change.
- Provide training for community leaders and caregivers to help communities that have experienced trauma
- Facilitate alternatives to incarceration for adjudicated youth
- Develop Victim Impact & Reentry programs — including Victim Impact Panels, Victim Offender Conferencing and Reentry Conferencing
- Offer education and training workshops in Restorative Justice, Restorative Discipline, and Mindful/Non-violent communication for the public, justice systems and all levels of educational institutions
- Sponsor Community Building Circles for public and private agencies
- Promote Defense Initiated Victim Outreach